Picture a big glass filled to the halfway mark with water. How do you see it—half-full or half-empty? Or do you simply give thanks that you have a glass?
Consistently finding the glass half-empty—and the world as a difficult place— really affects the way we view the world.
Research has found that a negative outlook can contribute to everything from depression to heart disease to lowered immune system function. It can affect sleep, weight maintenance, the quality of your relationships, your social life, and even your ability to hold a job.
Now imagine what it would feel like to approach life from a place of positivity, fun, connection, health, and possibility. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
Eight Simple Tips to Find More Joy In Your Life
To help wipe out negativity, try one or more of the following action steps:
1. Smile! Yes, that simple! The reality is when you smile at someone, they can’t help but smile back at you. It’s a win-win situation! I recently had a total stranger stop me at a shopping centre, to say thank you for smiling at her. She had been having a bad day and my smile made her feel good. Now of course, that end up making me feel even better. A smile costs nothing so give it a go.
2. Put on your favourite music and dance! Depending on my mood, I often put on my favourite music such as Elvis and I dance around my lounge-room. And no, this is not having a Bridget Jones moment, because it brings me so much joy. Not only do I get to work in some exercise, I get to sing to my favourite songs and at the end of it, I’m feeling fabulous.
3. Go complaint-free. Try going an hour without complaining and see the positive things in your life. Next, try a day, a week, and so on.
4. Keep a gratitude journal. Each evening, list 10 or more things that you are grateful for. This is something that I do daily, and it really has taken my life to the next level.
5. Give compliments freely. Notice the good in others. Make a point of saying something nice to every person you meet. Even if you try this for an hour each day, you will notice the difference.
6. Find beauty everywhere in your world. Notice its gorgeousness. I love the work of Viktor Frankl and highly recommend that you read his book “Man’s Search For Meaning”. Viktor was imprisoned in the Holocaust and believed passionately that it was important to find meaning in all situations, even the most brutal ones and he credits this to his ability to survive the atrocities of the concentration camp.
7. Share your good news. Studies show that sharing happy events brings even more happiness. It’s like what I said before when you smile. When you share good news, it brings even more happiness as it is so contagious!
8. Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want. I love my mentor, the late, great Dr Wayne Dyer’s approach to life. He has written and spoken widely on the importance of focusing on what you do want rather than on what you don’t want. As he says “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change”
Maintaining a positive outlook takes practice, and the more you do it, the easier it gets. The payoff—a happier, healthier life—is absolutely worth the effort.
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
Want to learn how to make positive choices in your own life? Want support in creating your healthiest, happiest life ever? Let’s talk! Schedule a complimentary 30 minute health consultation with me today!